1. The temperature. It doesn’t get as hot as the low deserts.
2. The sunsets on the sand.
3. The lack of humidity. Your hair always stays put. No friz, no humidity slouching curls to sad stringyness. Not alot of product needed. Easier on the budget.
4. The illusion of stamina. When you visit people in a lower altitude, they really believe you are more athletic than you really are because you don’t get out of breath as fast.
5. Zeroscaping. There are only a few ambitious crazies (like my parents) who insist on bucking nature and creating their own little oasis in the sand. The rest of us enjoy a mow free Sunday (or at least minimal grass/lawn maintenance), while the crazies water and water and water and water and mow and then water again. It’s great fun to watch.
6. Sand. I know. It’s weird but it’s like having the beach without the sharks or humidity or hurricanes or tsunamis or crowds of people.
7. Wide open spaces. There aren’t that many people who like it here like I do so there is not alot of population to deal with.
8. Mountains. I love the majesty of the mountains.
9. Skiing. I used to ski alot. Then I learned to snowboard and I did that too. But now, I’m to out of shape to do it but my husband, and hopefully children, have quick cheap access to a little not-so-well known ski resort with 4 lifts and few lines. It’s awesome.
10. The hot springs. There are hot springs EVERYWHERE up here. We are surrounded by natural beauty and if you can find it, it provides you with so much fun!
4 thoughts on “10 Things I Love About the High Desert”
First, I thoroughly enjoy your photography, second, isn’t it funny how some areas of our country appeal to some and not to others? I must admit I have never been to the High Desert area….however, I was in Arizona for a bit and so missed the GREEN and the RAIN and the OCEAN .
After reading your descriptions and reasons, I am willing to give the desert a try!!!!
The high desert areas of Oregon are very beautiful.
You highlanders your illusory stamina… 🙂
…I want to go there now.
We love visitors!